Wednesday 21 May 2014

Wow Deli, Cardiff

I've never really been that 'in to' sandwiches. They were always an annoyance my mum forced on me embarrassingly until I finished college at 18 and in the past I would never choose the carb heavy option on a menu. However, I then started university, where the sandwich, whichever form it comes in, be it baguette, deli style, Panini or focaccia, is glorified as the ultimate snack - come hangover remedy. Before being introduced to the elegant delicatessen bloomer or the drunken 2am Subway, I was naïve to the extensive world of breaded delights. What’s more Cardiff boasts an extensive range of sandwich shops and deli's, offering every filling imaginable, so there is no way to escape them. Not a week goes by where I don’t hear about the best ‘sandwich cafe’ or see a new ‘wrap bar’ popping up on a street corner (okay that may be a little bit of an exaggeration) but one place I had heard a lot about and had been dying to visit for a while was Wow Deli. Rumours of massive bugling baguettes and fascinating fillings enticed me to finally try the city centre deli.

After what can only be described as a very long and heavy day of drinking at Varsity (the grudge rugby match between Cardiff & Swansea uni’s), the following day it was safe to say I wasn’t feeling my best. And as any student will tell you, the only successful cure for a hangover is food, and epic portions of it at that. It was a sunny day, so I decided to take the short stroll in the fresh air to finally try a Wow Deli sandwich. It’s a tiny shop that doesn’t look much from the outside, and it’s probably not the kind of place you’d want to go for a date or a catch up but that’s not what they’re going for, this is a simple lunch time deli with a few tables & chairs outside. What's more don’t be disheartened by its size, this is not representative what they have to offer, believe me. As soon as you walk in a huge blackboard displays the vast range of sandwich fillings and naughty treats they create. The deli offers the classics such as coronation chicken and ham, but also have warm carvery meats and exotic spicy flavours. I went for the Cajun chicken on wholemeal bread, adding lettuce, tomato, red onion and jalapeno’s too (only choosing a couple of the extensive extras). I thought the sandwich looked big, but my shock came when it was handed to me, it was so heavy I almost dropped it. I took the sandwich home to enjoy in the garden, and it was gorgeous! The bread was really thick but also nicely soft, the filling had a little kick and the salad was fresh and crunchy. I can honestly describe it as the perfect sandwich.



Now I’m not the kind of girl to eat half a meal and leave the rest, if I’m given a plate of food I’ll finish it, whether I’m about to explode or not, but this sandwich was a challenge. After eating the first half, I had to admit my defeat. However do not despair, I obviously put it in the fridge and ate the rest the next day. The sandwich must have had at least 2 breasts worth of chicken and each piece of bread was as thick as two slices, therefore at £3.50 the sandwich was an absolute bargain as well. There is no doubt I will be visiting Wow Deli again to try another one of their fantastic lunch time offerings and I would advise all the carb lovers of Cardiff to venture there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment